Located in Roddickton, the White Bay Central Health Centre provides Primary Health Care to residents of the area with holding beds, clinical exam rooms, a patient waiting area, an emergency room, basic equipment, and stocks a supply of essential medications. Care is provided by Registered Nurses (who have an expanded scope of practice) and two physicians. The facility has trained Laboratory staffs who are able to conduct basic blood work on site; all other required diagnostic tests are sent to a central lab for processing. The facility also has trained staff for conducting X-rays. These images are sent as computerized images to be read by an attending radiologist at another facility.
Videoconferencing is used to consult with specialists for emergent care and follow-ups.
Area residents can access a variety of services through this centre including:
- Ambulatory Care/Family Medicine
- Emergency Services
- Respite / Palliative Care
- 24-hour ambulance service and 24-hour nursing / paramedic personnel for ambulance escort
- Public Health Nursing services and clinics (post-natal visiting, newborn care, pre-school and well baby assessments, lifestyle clinics, pre-natal classes, etc.)
- Mental Health Nursing Services
- Home Care Nursing Services
- Dental Services
- Child, Youth and Family Services (includes childcare, both centre based and family child care, adoptions, youth corrections, child intervention services, family and rehabilitation services)
- Diagnostic Services (limited laboratory and x-ray)
Residents can also access regional services via referral (e.g., physiotherapy, occupational therapy, nutrition, speech/language, etc).
The facility employs Regional Nurses/ Nurse Practitioners, physicians, Licensed Practical Nurses, clerks, domestic, diagnostic staff, Mental Health and Addictions staff, Public Health/ Community Health Nurses, social workers, Paramedicas/ EMR’s and maintenance staff.
Roddickton-Bide Arm, NL