Staying Active for Adults
Activity for Children/ Youth
- Staying physically active contributes to a stronger, healthier body and immune system.
- Physical activity guidelines for adults recommends doing 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity a week.
- Accumulate your activity in bouts of 10 minutes or more.
- For children aged 5-17, read Canada’s 24-hour movement Guidelines for Children & Youth for recommendations on physical activity, sedentary time and sleep.
- Schedule family physical activity sessions. Take children outside each day for fresh air and activity; a walk, scavenger hunt, kicking and throwing balls, skipping, etc.
Indoor & Outdoor Activity
Getting Enough Sleep
- Enjoy a walk, hike or bike ride with friends/ family while maintaining physical distances.
- As spring arrives, outdoor chores and gardening are great activities for the entire family.
- If indoors for long periods of time, try physical games like dance parties, musical chairs and interactive video games.
- Break up long periods of sitting or reclining with activity (e.g., stretch, climb stairs, chores)
- Establish a bedtime routine & stick to it, even if the normal daily events have changed.
- Stay away from caffeinated drinks & large meals in the evenings.
- Engage in relaxing activities 1-hr before bedtime.
How to Prioritize Physical Activity
* Plan for physical activity every day.
*Include family members or friends on walks, hikes or bike rides, where social distances can be maintained.
*Use technology such as fitness trackers and apps to support your physical activity goals.
*Try the Free App from ParticipACTION.
- Create challenges among friends and family members to see who can be most active, reach weekly goals, accumulated most steps, etc.
- Try making some window visits to friends and family, especially to those in health facilities, seniors and those with limited mobility.
Some Activities for Adults
- Online videos
- At-home workouts
- Walking outside
- Walking Resources from RecNL
- Walk at Home by Leslie Sansone
- YThrive Home: YMCA Workouts Anytime, Anywhere!
- Class Pass: Free home fitness classes.
- Tone It Up: Youtube channel with a variety of videos ranging from pre-natal to high intensity (HIIT) workouts.
- FRAME: The party-style exercise class usually done at a FRAME studio in the UK, free on Instagram!
Suggestions for Children/ Youth
- Walking, biking, hiking with family
- Interactive video games
- Online workout videos
- Scavenger hunts
- Indoor/ outdoor chores
- Obstacle courses