Transition Houses across Newfoundland and Labrador serve as a lifeline for women with or without children by providing essential safety and support services. There are five Transition Houses located within the Labrador-Grenfell Health region, Labrador City, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Nain, Hopedale and Rigolet.
Transition Houses are responsible for their own governance as a granted agency. In this regard, the Board of Directors of each House is responsible for their own operational management under the Operations Standards Manual set out by the Department of Health and Community Services. Financial support to these Transition Houses is received from the department and allocated through Mental Health and Addictions, Labrador-Grenfell Health.
The mission of these Transition Houses is to:
- Provide a safe and secure refuge for women experiencing abuse, with or without children.
- Help empower women by recognizing and respecting their individual strengths and to offer a safe, supportive, non-judgmental environment where women can make their own decisions.
- Provide information, education, public awareness which can encourage women to gain perspective in their own situation and to consider alternatives and options.
- Provide guidance and support to enable women to access appropriate services.
- Provide culturally appropriate information.
Hope Haven – Labrador City (709) 944-6900
Libra House – Happy Valley-Goose Bay (709) 897-3014
Nain Transition House Inc. – Nain (709) 922-1229
Selma Onalik Shelter – Hopedale (709) 933-3420
Kirkina Safe House – Rigolet (709) 947-3333